Monday, September 15, 2008

Whoa Nelly!

Whoa! It's been way too long since I last posted. I'm sure everyone is dying to hear what is going on in our exciting lives! Well, really not much has been going on. Our summer was nice and relaxing. I didn't get any of my projects done, unfortunately. Darn you cable! I'm easily sucked in. But, I'll get those projects done eventually. Oh! I did start on a denim quilt, I got most of the squares cut out. I just need to start sewing everything together. I'm excited to finish it!


June 23, was our two-year anniversary. We stayed in town and went out to dinner. Pretty low-key, but nice. We can't believe we've been married for 2 years, it seems longer....but in a good way. We made a trip to California to visit my brother and his family for the 4th of July. We tried to see fireworks in Downtown Disney, but we only maybe saw 10 min. and then they stopped! We found out by some employees that they were cancelled...because of the fires California was having, Disneyland is particular about the wind direction and fireworks setting things on fire, so they weren't originally planning on fireworks, but someone mustn't have received the memo. But yet they still put on the reg. scheduled fireworks show...hmmm...sounds fishy. So, we went back to my brother's house a little fireworks-deprived. OH well, we had lots of fun at the beach earlier that day. (pictures comming soon). We were also able to play a game of Settlers, which is always fun with them. We didn't want to leave, it's always hard going back to work after having fun.

Earlier in the summer Jared and I went to a Brad Paisley concert, which was really fun. He's one of the few country singers I like. Someone at Jared's work had a couple of extra tickets for Brad's concert, so we took advantage of it and went. Brad Paisley puts on a really good concert; even though we had lawn seats, and pretty far away, we was still fun.

We made trips to Phoenix and Tucson for family visits as well. Those were fun. It's always good to see family and friends. We went down for my niece's baptism in August, which was really fun and always great to see those kids. It's crazy how big they are getting! But, our latest trips to Phx have been interesting too. We found an '05 Nissan Altima at the Tempe Toyota/Scion dealership that we really liked for a good deal. It had leather seats, Bose sound system, moon roof, heated seats. So, We went down, did a little test drive, liked it, but on our way up to Flagstaff the Service Engine light came on and didn't go off. The more and more we drove it, we heard different things in the car that didn't sound right. We took it to the Nissan place here, they thought they fixed the Service Engine light but they didn't. So the next weekend we went back down to Phx, for the Tempe place to look at it, we made a list of everything that was wrong,, ,they said they'd fix it and they gave us a rental car for the next week (which they paid for). The next weekend came around and headed south again, because the Tempe place said they'd fixed everything, we drove it again, we didn't feel comfortable with it, and the guy we'd been working with said, just look at what we have and if you like it we'll make something work. We found an '06 Nissan Altima, that didn't have all the bells and whistles, but it drove 10x's better and with 30,000 less miles on it. So, they made it work and we took it home and now we're happy. Whew, that was a very long-winded story. It's amazing how much longer gas lasts now. It's great!

We made a few more trips before school got too busy. We went to Vegas for Labor Day weekend. They were having good deals for Hotels, so we stayed in the Luxor (not as nice as you'd might think), but still fun to stay in a hotel right on the strip. The buffets were delicious as always. We waited in line for 2 hours just to eat at the Paris buffet, but was it worth it? Heck yes. It was so good. We didn't get to the Belaggio fountains, but there's always next time. We wanted to see the Shark Reef, but once we got there, we decided against it and thought we can go to an Aquarium in California and see a lot more for probably the same price. The trip was still fun and relaxing.

Then our last trip was down to Tucson. We went to visit Jared's mom and see a U of A football game, which they won, and that helps make sitting in the heat worth it. Once again, it was a nice and relaxing weekend and as always, it was hard to come back to the reality ofwork and school.

Oh! I can't believe I forgot this, but for those of you who didn't know, (I might have even posted this, but I don't remember) I got a full-time job at the NAU Cline Library. Same department, Reserves. I started as a student in the fall of '04, then summer of '07 I got a temporary position doing the same thing, and then in February '08, I got dropped back to a student employee and finally a full-time position opened up (the same position was temping for) and I got it! I really enjoy the people I work with and working here for 3 1/2 years paid off. It's been really helpful having some extra money coming in. Plus, Jared and I get to go to school for really cheap, now that I work for the school. That's going to help too.

Sorry this is such a long post, but I wanted to get something up before we got too busy with school. We are excited about getting our fall shows back, but not so much about school. Oh well, we'll see how it goes! I'll try and be better about posting. Hope everyone is doing well!

4 comments:

Peter and Lindsay said...

I'm so glad to hear everything is going well! I'm such a dork that I check all of our friends' blogs like 3 times a day so it's good to hear from you!

Love ya, Lindsay

Holly said...

Wow!!! That was a good, long post to get updated on all that has been going on with you guys! We sure LOVED having you out for the 4th (darn those Disney fireworks - but YEAH on the Settlers!) Anytime...anytime... :)

Say, I want to know how you do the denim quilt. I have a BUNCH of kids jeans that we just don't use. Jackson prefers softer pants (although Ethan doesn't seem as opposed to jeans). If he will wear them, great - but if not, I want to know how to make a quilt out of them!

I read your comments about your Vegas trip to Elliott and was saying: "TWO hours for a buffet! Man! You know they don't have kids yet!" :) We LOVE buffets - but couldn't do the 2 hour thing - must have been GOOD!

Ok, I've rambled enough...lots of love!

Unknown said...

I was wondering if you guys disappeared! :) Sounds like you had a busy summer and are doing good. Congrats on the job! Hope you have a good semester! :)

. said...

i have been waiting for an update! where are my pics?